Friday, May 21, 2010

Silence

Talking too much exhausts the mouth.
Better to keep your thoughts within you.

silence is not of value in our culture. those who keep quiet are seen as odd, taciturn, introverts (which they may be.). keeping words within myself can be a good thing. this can stop me from saying something harmful or unkind. this lets me think before i speak.i do not wish to speak upon that which i do not know. these days i know less and less. so i speak less. i have made one day per week, thursday, a day of complete silence. i only speak to do my prayers or to speak to an elder. this is remarkably restful for both mouth and brain. i get to take a break from all the chit-chat, the talk of the monkey mind, which goes on during the course of a day. this talk i am often not even aware of. i stay away from television, music with words. i spend my time listening to the world around me. what i can hear is wonderful.i hear the birds singing. i hear the shout of children playing. i hear the rain again the windows or the wind blowing through the trees. and sometimes, esp. when it is snowing, i hear...silence.

No comments:

Post a Comment